Published on:

Court Rules on Visitation Case

Parents who separate must continue financially supporting their children even after their marriages have already been dissolved. However, according to our New York Family Lawyer, it is natural for parties under cases like these to be full of bitterness and resentment directed towards each of the parties. Usually, a custodial parent is appointed to determine the children’s residence as well as for tax purposes. Some custodial parents refuse visitation rights from non-custodial parents, who in turn, refuse to pay for child support. When this happens, the children’s welfare is put on the back seat. This is one of the drawbacks of separation. In this case that we will talk about, the Mother was awarded custodial rights and was receiving benefits from public assistance. Naturally, the Department of HRS will seek he father for child support who was allegedly in arrears for more than $980. Therefore, a motion was sought to hold the father in contempt for refusal to pay child support.

According to a New York Criminal Lawyer, the HRS found out that the father was financially able to pay for the child support. During the time of the hearing, the Father defended himself by stating that the reason he did not pay for child support is because of the Mother’s refusal to allow him to see his child. And because of that, the court rules on the Father’s favor and concluded that the Father was not found to be acting in contempt and that he is not liable to pay for child support for an indefinite period. This made the HRS appeal the reversal of the trial court’s decision. In addition to the Father’s defense, the trial court also found out that neither and order of visitation nor was a request for one made by the Father. Our Nassau County Family Lawyer clarified that if the Father wanted to visit the children, all he had to do was ask the court to permit him to visit and if he was able to secure one, and the Mother refused the visit, the Mother will be held in contempt.

Since the Father did not do anything to appeal the court or have the Mother be held in contempt, he unknowingly waived his visitation rights. The trial court was not able to modify the child support terms because no proper proceedings were invoked to be able to settle the issue. To modify the child support, the parties could have agreed for new terms and the need for the modification must be thoroughly explained and justified. How the new terms will be able to support the child must also be discussed and conferred with by the parties. If and when they cannot reach for a settlement, then they may ask the Court to modify the child support terms. Again, the new terms must be justified and explained and that they must be granted on the basis of a change in one of the parent’s circumstances such as loss of a job, disability, inability to pay, etc. However, in this case, none of these proceedings happened. Thus, the Father was found to be in contempt for refusing to pay for the child support and using the lack of visitation as a justification for doing so. The trial was then recommended to be remanded or sent back to a lower court for further trial and action. Moreover, it was suggested that the Father’s duty to pay for child support must be enforced according to the law.

According to our Queens Family Lawyer, alimony or child support must not be dependent or must not rely upon whether the Father did not have visitation rights or was refused by the Mother during his visits. Unfortunately, many cases like this grant the waiver of child visitation and subsequently, the obligation to pay for child support. It must be known to all that if a parent fails to honor the visitation rights of a non-custodial parent, the child support must not be discontinued because of it. The Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act or URESA provides that the non-custodial parent must still pay alimony even if he was not permitted to visit by the custodial parent. On the other hand, if the non-custodial parent was unable to pay for child support because of extraordinary reasons, then the custodial parent must not refuse that parent’s visitation rights.

If you think that your case is similar to this, don’t hesitate to seek the help of Stephen Bilkis and Associates. Protect your children from becoming entangled in angry and bitter disputes and let us assist you in this trying time. our office will help you overcome this difficult moment in your lives civilly, sensibly and most of all, for the benefit of your children. Call one of our offices now.

Contact Information